This Privacy Statement applies to the websites administered by the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR). Information collected through these websites falls into two categories: aggregate information and personal information.
Collection and use
Aggregate information is information from which individual user identities or characteristics have been removed. When a user accesses the OICR website, aggregate information is collected automatically in order to better understand website traffic patterns (e.g., total number of visitors, most visited sections, peak traffic times). None of this information is analyzed in a personally identifiable manner.
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual. When we collect personal information about you through the website, we do so only if you consent to provide it to us. Specifically, there are three ways we may collect personal information about you:
- If you register to join our mailing list, we collect your email address in order to send you our publications and information about events;
- If you send us an inquiry through our website, we only collect your email address in order to respond to you; and
- If you register for an event, we collect your personal information required to administer that event and to send you information about future events.
You may unsubscribe from receiving any communications from OICR, at any time, by sending a request to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by using the unsubscribe option provided in the email you have received.
OICR will not disclose your personal information other than in the following three situations:
- When OICR provides event registration services for a third party, OICR will provide your registration information to the relevant event sponsor(s).
- When OICR uses third parties, including those which may be based in the United States, for outsourcing purposes (e.g., administering mailing lists or event-related functions). In such circumstances, we use contractual means to ensure that these third parties protect your personal information in a manner comparable to OICR practices; however where such information is stored or accessed in other countries it may be subject to the laws of those countries.
- When OICR is required to respond to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts or law enforcement.
If you wish to disable cookies you may adjust your browser settings to reject digital markers, including cookies. This may affect the performance of some services on the site(s).
Controlling your Personal Information
To access, correct, delete or request that your Personal Information be sent to you or someone else, please contact us at email@example.com.
The OICR website may contain links to one or more third party websites. Please note that third party websites are not controlled by OICR, and this Privacy Statement does not apply in regard to any personal information that you provide to third party websites.
Other OICR programs and their privacy practices
OICR is affiliated with a number of programs which have specific policies governing their collection, use or disclosure of personal information. For more information on the information practices of these programs, please follow the relevant link below:
- Ontario Tumour Bank
- Ontario Health Study
- International Cancer Genome Consortium
If you have any questions or concerns about privacy at OICR, please send a written request to:
Attn: Privacy Officer
Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
MaRS Centre, South Tower
661 University Avenue, Suite 510
Canada M5G 0A3